Archive Entries for June 2014

« April 2014 | Knitalong Home | July 2014 »

Monday June 23, 2014

Colourwork - and rework

I was doing well with my squares but having completed them all now, I have decided to reknit some of them.

In order to use my scraps I actually split some of the plies in the yarns, as well as knitting 4plys and 2 plies together. This was not quite as much of a pain as one might think (I did it dynamically while knitting). This resulted for the most part in the squares being a little denser than they first started out. So my initial "blackcurrant" square in Phildar Oxygene was too flimsy, and I reknitted with additional plies in the same shade of Phildar Luxe, (and there was also some Jaeger Luxury Spun in there too!).

For the "seville" colour I used 2 strands of an unknown synthetic 4 ply together and they came out much too big - so I altered the pattern to have 5 bobbles across the row instead of 6 and again completely reknitted them. The sister squares of "dots and dashes" came out too small - so I just added some extra rows to the square; here I had completely replaced the brown colour with grey.

In general I did not have enough interesting brown shades to match - so I replaced one with grey (as above) and the other with olive.

I had to purchase one ball of raspberry pink budget acrylic - I did have a yarn which might have worked - but not enough of it. And I purchased a few ounces of vintage Sirdar Fontein Crepe 4 ply pure wool while at Woolfest - looks like it came from my stash but didn't! This was the mustard edging - I combined it with some unknown 2ply I had on a cone.

The blanket is a mix of wool and synthetic with attention being paid only to the colour mix. I also unwillingly used cotton blends in 2 cases in order to get the colours.

Posted by Christina at 10:01 AM. Category: Martin Storey Mystery Afghan